Thursday, November 13, 2014

Too Many Things about being a Nerd of Color.

I'm the newest contributor to The Nerds of Color, a website community "not afraid to look at nerd/geek fandom with a culturally critical eye." 

Stelle of Thrones
"If I had a Horcux, it'd probably be my Terminator boxset." by Christelle G.
I'm really excited to cover some of the "many things" I enjoy, specifically the nerdy things. I'm even more excited to utilise my voice as a Filipino-American. I was nervous about writing and nervous about being such a public representative for Asian-American nerds, Filipino-American nerds, and Female nerds.... but then I realised that I am ALWAYS all of those things. No matter what I do, I am an ambassador to those cultural identities.

So thank you for listening and making me feel heard.

Love, Christelle xxxxxxxxx

Here is an excerpt from my nerd origin story:
Now is it terrible to admit how often I forget that I’m a “nerd of color?” I mean, I know I’m a nerd: it’s the “of color” bit that I don’t usually remember right away.
I remember being really excited about Lana Lang on Smallville because the actress was half-Asian, and she had hair like mine! And her last name was “Lang!” That meant the TV version of her was now Asian, right? Eeeeeee, not really. That was kind of a bummer. Oh, and then Lucy Liu was one of Charlie’s Angels! She was the smartest angel and worked the best slow-mo hair and had those rare Asian freckles and got to hang out with the beautiful, cool white girls! Read more.....  
Make sure you follow us on twitter (@TheNerdsofColor) and like us on Facebook (The Nerds of Color)! Nerd on!

No comments:

Post a Comment